Monday, March 4, 2013

I'm Learning to Paint

Hi everyone. Been awhile. Sorry. I have a whole bunch of live study updates, which I will post when I get them off my phone camera. In the meantime, here are some of my quick color experiments.

As always, these are studies done from random images I found on the web.

When I started doing these, I was having trouble understanding value, temperature and saturation. Straight copy was the best I could do.

My goal was to see how contrast between different areas dictated what I perceived. Values clicked for me when I was doing the images in the middle row. When I started doing the desert scene, I understood how to properly use temperature contrast.

Once I figure all this out, I gained control of the focal area (2 desert images from the right).

Top 3 images took me a few hours to paint (2 to 3 hours per image). Middle row was about an hour per image (the one on the right took around 30 minutes). Bottom row images took from 15 to 5 minutes. Always a nice feeling when understanding clicks and the dreadful feeling of despair goes away.

At the very least, I know what I'm looking at now and all I need is lots of practice; it's not a brick wall anymore for me. I should be able to start painting from imagination very soon.

I'll also do an upload of all my quarter work as soon as the quarter is over. As always, thanks for stopping by.