Thursday, October 4, 2012

Art is never easy

Hi. I'm an artist.

Since I was a kid, I loved looking at artists' work, admired their talent and skill, dreamed about how I would make amazing artwork; but when pencil was put to paper, the results always came out embarrassingly weak. I quit doing art more times than I quit smoking, but I never managed to beat the art addiction.

I made my first serious approach at a somewhat structured art education when I was 33 or so. By that time I've been working as a graphic and web designer for almost 10 years. Used my strengths, avoided my weaknesses. I discovered Gnomon DVD workshops and found that Glenn Vilppu started teaching online.

Looking back on that attempt, I realize that I should have focused on my flaws, but I was impatient. I wanted to make it happen as soon as possible.

After about 2 years of hard work and practice, the needle finally moved. I caught my first break: a small game development shop hired me based on my portfolio. The project ended in less than a year and the team was let go. It was somewhat disappointing, especially since I realized I just spent a year in the industry and didn't get any better at art, nor did I build a competitive portfolio. In fact, I spent a year doing essentially the same UI design work I did for other companies.

Bills needed to be paid and I got back into corporate web design. I almost gave up on art for good that time.

In 2011, Visa was looking for web and UX people and I got hired as a Senior Web Designer. As I started my new job, something clicked inside my head. I don't know exactly what happened, but I finally got it: it didn't matter if I had a respectable designer job at Visa, or if I was working at a diner flipping burgers. It didn't matter if my art sucked and I had a long way to go. What mattered was that every day I could be practising art; but I wasn't. Doing art is my responsibility and mine alone. I shouldn't be waiting for an opportunity to do it for somebody or for compensation, or because some day it might make me rich. I should be doing it because it's what I am.

It finally occurred to me that I am not an artist because I finally "made it" and I'm getting paid to do art. None of this makes me an artist.

I am an artist only when I do art. That is the only thing that separates an artist from everybody else. For the first time in my life, I saw it with perfect clarity.

Since then, several wonderful opportunities opened up for me. Jonathan Hardesty accepted me as his student into his classical art training program and I started taking classes at CGMA. I realized how much time and support it would take to build myself up as a skilled artist, but doing it patiently, step by step, is the only way to go.

I started this blog to share my experience of making art and, hopefully becoming a better artist in the process. I also hope that watching my progress will help people like me through their journey.

I'll be updating as I go, so subscribe or visit me from time to time.