Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Paris sketch

I'm working through Ernest Watson's Course in Pencil Sketching. Watson's manual is amazing: it feels like you are sitting next to him, while he explains the material and shows different ways to approach the assignments.

After finishing a few projects, I decided to put my skills to the test and sketch something challenging. I picked Paris as my location and here is what I ended up with



It's based on a photograph from 1925 I found on the web. I changed perspective, viewing angle and elevation. I focused the composition on the street corner area. My intention was to start at the corner, guide the eye to the Eiffel tower and gently return back to the street corner.

I think I accomplished what I set out to do and got to see where I need to improve. This ended up being a great learning experience for me, and now I feel even more enthusiastic about Ernest Watson's course.